Infection Control Statement
The annual statement will be generated each year in March.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure)
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention and control
- Details of infection control advice to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines
The surgery Lead for Infection Prevention/Control is Fiona Loverdos, Advanced Nurse Practitioner supported by Jane Kirkwood, Operations Manager.
This team keep updated with infection prevention and control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year March 2020 – March 2021 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
- Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention & control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Healthcare associated infections (HCAIS) and occupational infections
- Minor surgery
- Sharps injury
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipment
- Risk of body fluid spills
- Legionella risk assessment
2 new staff members joined this medical practice in the past 12 months and received infection control training (via el-h online learning or via Bluestream Academy) and hand washing training within 1 month of employment (via Infection Control Lead Fiona Loverdos, Advanced Nurse Practitioner).
100% of the practice clinical staff have completed or are currently completing their annual infection prevention & control update training (via either formal training session or online).
100% of the practice non clinical staff have completed or are completing their annual infection prevention & control update training via el-h online learning.
The Infection Control Leads have attended training updates (or are due to attend their updates) for their role provided by Jenny Leleux (the Infection Prevention & Control Nurse for Berkshire West CCGs).
A spreadsheet that records all staff training is located on the shared drive for staff to check and update.
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the practice.
There is information available in the Practice (via leaflets/posters and/or TV information screen) on:
- Recognising symptoms of TB
- Chickenpox & shingles
- The importance of immunisations (eg. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
Covid-19 Response Plan
In March 2019, in response to the rapid developments of Covid-19 we continually monitor and review all surgery processes & procedures. We have reduced footfall within the practice by reverting to total telephone triage. We have recommenced routine appointments such as cervical smears and asthma/COPD reviews.
We have also reduced staff footfall within the practice and are socially distancing appropriately. We have developed a Covid-19 Response Plan which is on our website.
New Wokingham Road Surgery