Infection Control Statement
The annual statement will be generated each year in March.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure)
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Control risk assessments undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention and control
- Details of infection control advice to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines
The surgery Lead for Infection Prevention/Control is Fiona Loverdos, Advanced Nurse Practitioner supported by Jane Kirkwood, Operations Manager.
This team keep updated with infection prevention and control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year March 2021 – March 2022 there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
- COVID-19 Compliance Audit for Primary Care conducted on 30 March 2021 by Jintana Loss, IPC Lead, Berkshire West CCG with Fiona Loverdos & Jane Kirkwood. No IPC major issues were identified during the inspection.
- Staff Hand Hygiene Technique.
- Minor Surgery – No patient post IUCD insertion developed an infection.
- Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention & control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH)
- Disposal of waste
- Healthcare associated infections (HCAIS) and occupational infections
- Minor surgery (IUCD only)
- Sharps injury
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipment
- Risk of body fluid spills
- Legionella risk assessment
1 new staff member joined this medical practice in the past 12 months and received infection control training via Bluestream Academy or el-h online learning and hand washing training within 1 month of employment (via Infection Control Lead Fiona Loverdos, Advanced Nurse Practitioner).
100% of the practice clinical staff have completed or are currently completing their annual infection prevention & control update training (via either formal training session or online).
100% of the practice non clinical staff have completed or are completing their annual infection prevention & control update training via Bluestream Academy or el-h online learning.
The Infection Control Leads have attended training updates (or are due to attend their updates) for their role provided by Jintana Loss (the Infection Prevention & Control Nurse for Berkshire West CCGs).
A spreadsheet that records all staff training is located on the shared drive for staff to monitor and update appropriately.
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to wear a mask and use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the practice.
There is information available in the Practice (via posters and/or TV information screen) on:
- Recognising symptoms of TB
- Chickenpox & shingles
- The importance of immunisations (eg. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel.
Covid-19 Response Plan
Since the Pandemic began, we have responded appropriately to the rapid developments of Covid-19 and we continually monitor and review all surgery processes & procedures. We reduced footfall within the practice by reverting to a telephone triage system and any subsequent face to face appointments booked by the GP and Nurse Practitioners. We continue to see patients for routine appointments such as cervical smears, asthma/COPD, diabetes and pre diabetes reviews and blood tests. We are currently making plans to reopen our front door in line with infection control protocols. This includes a deep clean and reorganising the reception/waiting room areas.
We have reduced staff footfall within the practice and are socially distancing appropriately. We developed a Covid-19 Response Plan which is on our website.
New Wokingham Road Surgery